may showers bring clay flowers...


flowers
Originally uploaded by thebline

Graduation was yesterday, and we were fortunate enough to enjoy warm, sunny weather for the ceremony. But today couldn't be more different. We woke up today (very late!) to find a rainy day already in progress. Not just rainy, but cold! It's one of those days where you'd rather not leave the bed, with its cozy duvet and blankets, but Lola and Sita weren't having that--they wanted breakfast! So, after an hour or so of checking out the goings-on at Etsy, I decided to hunker down and experiment with some polymer clay flowers (this is not as industrious or admirable as it may seem as I am totally putting off grading that last stack of finals. I'll get to them right after this post, cross my heart!).

Here are some of the flowers I made--they definitely brighten the day! There are a few daisies in the bunch, but mostly roses in various colors, including a crazy yellow, black, and pearl number. Can't wait to see how they look in my new corsage bracelets!

Polymer clay is rather new for me. I started using it just a few weeks ago when I was getting frustrated since I couldn't find beads that I wanted. I decided to try to make what I was looking for. The first batch didn't turn out that well at all! The sculpting part was okay, but the cooking part was disastrous (even though I followed the baking instructions of 10 minutes at 350 degrees). The house was soon filled with smoke and the flowers I made had turned to a burned and melted blob. Ick! My new system is a bit more gentle! I seal the flowers in an aluminum foil packet and heat them for an hour or so at 250F (the pic above was taken just before they got baked). No smoke, no char, much better! Stay tuned on etsy to see how they turn out!

Okay, as promised, back to the grading!


the b-line  – (May 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM)  

Thanks, Arlene! I have a lot of fun making them.

Kat –   – (June 6, 2008 at 12:22 AM)  

Have you ever tried the air dry polymer clay? I use it for the flowers I sell on etsy and I think it would be great for yours too. No baking (no smoke or burns either!)You can just seal it with a varnish after and it would be great for your jewelry. Take a look at the flowers that you can achieve on my etsy site petalbypetal.etsy.com think you'll like it!
Kat

the b-line  – (June 12, 2008 at 11:17 PM)  

What brand do you use, kat? Your work is awesome!

Post a Comment

Hi there! I'm so glad you visited my blog today. And look, you made it all the way down here! While you're here, leave me a note. And have a lovely day.
Amy

more photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from thebline. Make your own badge here.

search the site

come, join us!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP