what's cooking: easy samosas

I live in a tiny town. A town with just a few (not very good) restaurants and very few shops. And even less variety. Imagine how happy we were when an Indian restaurant opened last year. Since then, we've treated ourselves somewhat regularly to a curried feast.

Unfortunately, our small town makes it pretty hard for businesses to survive (nevermind thrive). So we weren't surprised (though we were dismayed) to find that our little Indian restaurant was closed (for a while, they said) right when we were experiencing an intense craving for samosas.

Really, there was nothing else to do but take a stab at it ourselves. Of course, I wasn't really up for a lot of work, so we searched through a bunch of recipes, got a general feel for how these things are made, and took some shortcuts. And we LOVE how these turned out. Delicious! And easy. I just couldn't keep these to myself!



Easy Samosas [print]
1 large russet potato, baked
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¾ cup green peas
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon mild curry powder
2/3 teaspoon ground coriander
2/3 teaspoon ground cumin
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom
pinch ground cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup water
1 sheet refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Crumble the potato flesh (discard the skin) into a medium-sized skillet with 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Add the peas, spices, salt, and water, and cook over medium heat until the ingredients are combined and heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.

On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust to about 1/8 inch thick. Slice the dough into 6 equal-sized wedges. Divide the filling into 6 equal portions as well. Place one portion of filling in the center of one wedge of dough and fold up the three flaps to form a pyramid, using a little water to allow the dough to stick at the seams. Place the finished pyramid on a greased cookie sheet. Once the remaining samosas are assembled, brush them with a light coat of vegetable oil. Cook at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

Bon app├ętit!

Shelby  – (January 29, 2009 at 1:47 PM)  

Yum! I LOVE Samosas! Whenever we got to South Africa we always get the most delicious Samosas (they love them over there) I should surprise my husband with these. Thanks for the recipe!

Kristin  – (January 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM)  

Thanks Amy! Now I can make my own. My daughter's Indian babysitter just gave me one of her samosas to eat in the car on the way home yesterday. What a coincidence.

P.S. I get a lot of surprise Indian left-overs that I take to lunch at work.

Post a Comment

Hi there! I'm so glad you visited my blog today. And look, you made it all the way down here! While you're here, leave me a note. And have a lovely day.
Amy

more photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from thebline. Make your own badge here.

search the site

come, join us!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP