let's make {countdown garlands}

I think I may have mentioned once or twice that I'm a bit of a counter. I count steps. When I take a jog, I'm always calculating what percentage I've got left to go. And if there's a big event on the horizon (trip, birthday, deadline), you'd better believe I'm counting down the days.

All of this brings us to today's project, countdown garlands. The idea struck me a few weeks back that as long as I'm counting down (a habit that can be annoying or irrelevant to some), I may as well decorate around it. I figured maybe I'm not the only one out there who likes to keep track of time, so I thought I'd share it with you. Enjoy!

1 countdown garland

let's make {countdown garlands}
2 countdown garland
This is such a simple project. For materials, you'll need
3 sheets of cardstock or photo paper
color printer
scissors
tiny (1") clothespins (one for each day you're counting down)
3-5 feet of twine or ribbon
this pdf freebie*

countdown garland freebies
Of course, you can make your own numbers and photos. But if you'd like to use the ones I've shown here (taken by yours truly), just click on the image above (or here) to open a pdf file with 21 images. That's three weeks of counting. :)

Directions:
Open the pdf file and print the images on 3 pieces of cardstock or photopaper. Cut out each of the images you'll be using for your countdown. Each day has a number and a photograph. Here's number one. (Yep, the photo's upside down! You'll see why in the next step.)


Once you've cut out all of the images you'll be using, fold each one down the center so you have a 2x2" square for each one. The number will be on one side, the photo on the other. The photo and number will both be right side up now.
3 countdown garland

Find a place you'd like to hang your countdown. On or above a mantle looks great, but this would also be pretty on a door (or door frame) or a window. Or just a wall with a lot of space. Hang your twine or ribbon however you like--tiny nails or brads, or even heavy duty tape or that blue stuff we used to use to hang posters. Now, using the mini clothespins (I found mine at JoAnn's), post each of the cards to your twine with the numbered side facing you.
4 countdown garland

I told you it was simple! The project is done. Now it's just a matter of counting down. Here's a 21-day countdown at the beginning. Look at all those numbers (Well, imagine them anyway. Sorry for the lack of contrast.).
5 countdown garland

Slowly but surely. Five days into our countdown (just 16 to go!). See, we're flipping to the photo side of the card for each day that passes.
6 countdown garland

Can you feel the excitement? Just five days to go!
7 countdown garland

Et voilà! Countdown is finished. Wanna start again?
9 countdown garland

What's got you counting down? Wedding, arrival of a new baby, guests coming to visit, vacation of a lifetime, kids going back to school, a big birthday or anniversary? Share your excitement!

have a lovely day, Amy

*Please note: I'm delighted to share these images with you and I hope you enjoy using them. They are for your personal (read: non-commercial) use only. Want to share this freebie on your site or blog? Please link to this page. Thanks!

Heidi Jo  – (June 16, 2009 at 11:29 PM)  

What a great idea! I love countdown garland, but love how instead of taking a piece away each day, you get a pretty photo to look at! Bravo! : )

mchen  – (June 16, 2009 at 11:53 PM)  

Lovely way to count down to a special event... Great pictures, terrific idea! Thanks a lot — one more thing on my wedding planning to-do list, ha ha! ;)

Pink Trees and Sunshine  – (June 16, 2009 at 11:55 PM)  

This is an adorable idea~~so inventive! It's an everyday Advent Calender :~)

Tintel  – (June 17, 2009 at 4:37 AM)  

These are beautiful, Amy!
Thanks for sharing with us.

PS~Erin  – (June 17, 2009 at 4:49 PM)  

What a fun (and beautiful) idea! Thanks!

leslie  – (June 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM)  

Oh -this is such a pretty idea -I too love counting down!!! Thank you!

Post a Comment

Hi there! I'm so glad you visited my blog today. And look, you made it all the way down here! While you're here, leave me a note. And have a lovely day.
Amy

more photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from thebline. Make your own badge here.

search the site

come, join us!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP