let's make {pet pouches}

I don't want to offend anyone by being too graphic, but Lola and I take a lot of walks and jogs and sometimes I forget to bring along a little baggie for...well, you know. So, it dawned on my on a recent excursion that I could make a little "wallet" to store a plastic baggie right on her collar. Of course they have little baggy things that dangle from the collar, but I know I wouldn't like that banging around, and I thought Lola'd be annoyed by it too. She's kinda particular. Anyway, here's a quick little project to make such a pouch. Of course, you could keep a card or key in it, too, if you're so inclined. This pouch fits one large or a few small plastic baggies inside, just to keep you prepared.

Lola

let's make {pet pouches}

pouch1 by you.
You'll need just a few items for this project:
fabric (3" x 8") swatch
needle and thread (a sewing machine makes this project lightning fast, but isn't necessary)
straight pins
scissors
2 inches of 1" wide velcro

pouch2 by you.
To begin, cut your fabric into a 3x8" rectangle (I've had this ruler since grade school in case you were wondering).

pouch3 by you.
Fold each of the short ends over by 1/2 inch and sew down the center of the fabric, 1/4 inch from the fold.

pouch4 by you.
Repeat on the other end.

pouch5 by you.
Now, with the good side of the fabric toward you, pin the velcro to the middle of the fabric. Make sure that one side of the velcro (for instance, the fuzzy side) is up while the other (the sticky side) is down. They should be overlapping quite a bit and sticking to each other now. Baste the velcro in place and remove pins.


P.S. I almost forgot to mention (thanks for the reminder, Melis!) that Lola's collar is from Lucky Fiona, who makes the most fabulous doggie "necklaces", in my opinion. I'm a huge fan of the martingale style in particular, especially for skinny-necked pups like our weimie!

Clementine  – (June 24, 2009 at 9:30 AM)  

three things:
1) Lola is Gorgeous!!
2) your Peanuts ruler. that's awesome.
3) what a sweet project, I love it!

Amy  – (June 24, 2009 at 12:28 PM)  

Great idea! Much better than one of those plastic holders slapping your dog on the neck with each step! Lola is such a cutie!

Char  – (June 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM)  

adorable idea!!! your model is quite beautiful and i also covet that ruler.

Stephanie  – (June 24, 2009 at 3:37 PM)  

Cute idea! Perfect for the ladies. I for one never have a pocket available!

RobbieLee  – (July 22, 2009 at 11:24 AM)  

This is fabulous! I'm so impressed by your creativity, I'm going to post a link to this tutorial on my Blog: http://www.chickiedee.com/blog

Thanks!

Rachel@oneprettything.com  – (July 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM)  

This is perfect! I saw the link to this on Mint and immediately knew I had to make one. I would love to link to it as well if you didn't mind.

Amy (the b-line)  – (July 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM)  

Sure, Rachel. I'm glad you like it!

casserole  – (August 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM)  

Brilliant!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-dog-collar-pouch/2009/08/22/

--Anne

Jody  – (August 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM)  

Love it! Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets....
Jody

TheCluelessCrafter  – (August 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM)  

I live in NYC and the number of people carrying bundles of plastic bags is surprising. This craft could turn New York dog walkers into catwalkers!

Even I can make this. I made a hot sleeve for my coffee cup using a very similar method.

Anonymous –   – (August 27, 2009 at 3:17 AM)  

I have that same ruler! I love it!

suzi.wollman  – (August 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM)  

Hi, Amy! What a delightful sewing craft! I've just started a new crafting blog and would like to link here, if I may. Thanks so much for posting this!

Suzi
http://o-susannah.blogspot.com

red_tomato  – (August 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM)  

this is such a great idea!
but i can't wrap my head around 1 thing: what is the velcro for?
from the picture it looks like the velcro is just so the collar is able to slide through the pouch.
if so, can't i just use a strip of fabric to replace the velcro?

Amy (the b-line)  – (August 27, 2009 at 11:22 AM)  

Good point! You could certainly simplify and use fabric for a loop instead of Velcro. I used Velcro for more versatlilty--it fits snuggly (it is adjustable) on different sizes of collars (Lola has a nice wardrobe). She also usually sports a martingale style collar, which has no buckle!

Karen  – (August 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM)  

Hi Amy, what an awesome idea! This is a great project to teach my young daughters on the sewing machine, I just have a few questions if possible. You mention the fabric is 3" x 8" and we would need 2 inches of 1" wide velcro but in the one picture of the velcro pinned on the fabric it looks like they are the same length but in the next photo the velcro looks different lengths. I know I am just missing something really simple but I just can't figure out how you add the velcro on and make it adjustable? Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Amy (the b-line)  – (August 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM)  

Hi Karen,
I think it's just a lack of contrast in the first photo. The two pieces of velcro (the fuzzy and the sticky pieces) are both 2 inches long. You'll sew one piece to each edge of the fabric, so the velcro will not reach the other side (that's what you're seeing in the second photo). You can make the velcro a little longer, just take care not to sew over it when you finish the sides! I hope that helps!

Maria Paray  – (September 3, 2009 at 4:59 PM)  

Saw this on Woof Report - great idea! I am a volunteer puppywalker with the Guide Dog Foundation and my pockets and purses are always stuffed with baggies, LOL.

I'm thinking I would like to slip this on the leash, so as not to be near the head - have you tried that?

Anonymous –   – (September 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM)  

Love the weim!! and the idea is great for the martingales we use for our greyhounds.
Susan owner of one weim, two grey's, one min pin!!

Linda –   – (September 3, 2009 at 6:56 PM)  

Hi Amy
You are a true artist with great ideas. I have a Dachsund (weenie dog) and would like to know what a weimie is? Thank you
Linda

Amy (the b-line)  – (September 3, 2009 at 7:55 PM)  

Thanks, everyone!

Maria, I've not attached the pouch to Lola's leash, put that's a great idea--it would keep those baggies (or keys, etc) even closer at hand!

Susan--would love to see a photo of your crowd. :)

Linda, "weimie" is short for weimaraner. Here's a wiki article about the breed: wiki
And for more photos of Lola, you can check here: Lola flickr

Linda A –   – (September 3, 2009 at 10:44 PM)  

Amy, You're a Genius-Genius! I love this idea. I wonder if it can be adapted to hold tags. I'm going to make one, so I'll see. Tags turn my Westie's hair black, so I'm always looking for something better than the usual tag covers e.g. Quiet Spot. Too bad Taggles.com is out of business. They had the best.
Thanks for sharing your great ideas. Love your blog.

Junie Moon  – (September 22, 2009 at 12:02 PM)  

Just wanted to let you know I used your tutorial and made the little pouches for my sister's dogs. I appreciate your sharing this great project with us.

Stacey Viera  – (November 6, 2009 at 8:17 PM)  

Thanks, Amy! I've made these for my neighbors and friends with pups. Instead of Velcro, I attached ribbon and a keyring onto it.

It's a fun homemade gift that is so useful!

Magpie Sue  – (November 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM)  

I found this project via Sew Mama Sew! I'm totally making one of these (maybe more!) for my sister who faithfully walks her dog every day :- )

Joanna  – (December 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM)  

Thanks for the craft idea. I've been trying to think of something to make a friend for Christmas and she has four dogs so this will be great!

Terry  – (October 3, 2011 at 9:20 PM)  

That is one seriously gorgeous model you have. Great idea by the way.

Rambling Rha  – (April 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM)  

I see you posted this nearly 3 years ago. I just want to say thank you so much, I love this little pouch. I was thinking of adding an elastic instead of the velcro and wearing it on my wrist. Do you think that would work?
Again, thank you so much!

Amy (the b-line)  – (April 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM)  

Has it really been that long? Whoa! Yes, I think elastic for a wristband will be a great adaptation. :)

Mateusz Polkowski  – (July 31, 2012 at 1:32 PM)  

I loved your blog entry so much I created my own pet pouch and wrote a polish version of your tutorial.

http://goldtabasco.blogspot.com/2012/07/saszetka-na-torebki-na-psie-kupy.html

(P.S. I linked your tutorial at the beginning of my entry, because you really deserve all the credit.)

TLN  – (August 11, 2012 at 3:43 AM)  

I came across your post today while prepping a pet DIY round up. This is so very clever!

I often run with my dog and have struggled on the bag front, especially in the HOT HOT HOT Australian summer when the last then you want tucked away in your running gear is a biodegradable poo bag...not so safe for scooping afterwards! :P

diamond engagement rings  – (February 26, 2013 at 2:50 AM)  

How did you do this? What a grate collection of information, thanks for best practice keep it up…

peter kenneth  – (February 26, 2013 at 2:53 AM)  

Excellent resource!! enjoyed reading you post!!! well done and keep sharing interesting stuff!!!

Anonymous –   – (June 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM)  

These would be great for ladies to put on purse handles, too!

Anonymous –   – (August 14, 2014 at 10:52 AM)  

I was wondering, what about a waterproof fabric? Not an oil cloth per se because it is kinda tough to.work.with. There are a lot of places that have rain, snow.

Anonymous –   – (August 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM)  

What an awesome idea! I've been looking for something to make with all the scraps I have. These will be a canine option, since I make catnip mice for the kitties..

Post a Comment

Hi there! I'm so glad you visited my blog today. And look, you made it all the way down here! While you're here, leave me a note. And have a lovely day.
Amy

more photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from thebline. Make your own badge here.

search the site

come, join us!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP