I've been such a delinquent blogger and crafter lately. But I promise, I have a good excuse! We're just a few weeks away from welcoming a new addition and I've been pouring all of my spare time and energy into getting ready. And I thought maybe you'd like to see what I've been up to. :)
What is now the nursery was once our guest bedroom. I was in such a rush to begin the project (can we say excited?) that I forgot to snap some "before" pix that show the room just prior to the makeover, but here are a few that show what the room looked like when I bought the house a few years ago. We hadn't done anything to the walls or windows since then. Looking at it now, I wonder how we could stand it for so long! Let me show you...
Okay, enough of that. Look what a bit of paint can do.
Amazing how cheerful grey can be, isn't it?
Here's the room as it appears now!
So many nurseries are painted in happy pastels (understandably), and I must admit, I was seriously considering going with a lovely robin's egg blue by Benjamin Moore, but we decided to go with their gray horse instead, and I couldn't be more pleased. It's the perfect backdrop (I think), along with the bright white trim and furniture, to the rest of the colorful details. And we decided to keep the rug simple as well--just a soft, cozy pure wool area rug.
My first step in planning the nursery was to search through nursery pix on flickr for inspiration, which is where I found the idea of the fabric hoop collage you see on the wall to the left.
Here's a more detailed shot of the collage along with the fabrics:
1/orange swirl from JoAnn Fabrics, 2/teal chevron by me, 3/bonjour lapin by Heather Dutton, 4/celebrate bunting by me, 5/birdhouse by troismiettes, 6/juicy calico fabric from JoAnn Fabrics, 7/kumquat spot by me, 8/confetti forest by me, 9/enjoy the ride by me, 10/tree from JoAnn Fabrics, 11/fabric forest by troismiettes, 12/love and paper airplanes (sky blue) by me.
The rocking chair is a repurposed piece--one I rescued (lifted?) from my parents' basement after my grad school days when I was trying to furnish my first house. I reupholstered it in a fabric I designed then had printed by spoonflower. Then I decided I needed something to prop my feet up on (during those feeding and/or reading sessions with the kiddo), so I searched around for a tutorial and made the green and white pouf in the foreground.
Have I mentioned how pleased I am to have found spoonflower? It has been a wonderful resource, inspiration, and creative outlet for me in planning this nursery. I initially "stopped in" looking for unique fabrics (a few of which are included in the hoop collage), but stayed when I found out how fun it was to design my own things! The doggie silhouette pillows (we had to "bring" our four-legged babies, Lola and Sita, in to the nursery in some way!) were one of the first things I created. They make me smile--I hope Kumquat gets a kick out of them too!
This fun little froggie (stuffed with lentils, mind!) is also made with some of my spoonflower fabric.
The biggest spoonflower splash in the space has to be the cornices. I wish I could take credit for the fabric, but I saw perfection in the simple design by dolphin and condor and had to snatch up her fabric instead. Oh, and in the corner, see that vibrant green bookcase that my hubby painted? The perfect fan and ipod stand, if you ask me.
Another early inspiration for the room was the print you see on the left--this lovely painting of three owls on a teal background done by a family friend years ago. I've always loved its simplicity and bold color. Hanging to the right, you'll see a couple of newer pieces to the room. On top, three little birds I illustrated to represent the growing chez Bethune (and the baby's holding a kumquat!). And below, a mock-up of a birth announcement that will eventually fill the frame. And from the ceiling, our diy felt clouds and rain mobile. It's amazing how rain can brighten your day when it's that colorful. I'm pretty proud of that $5 diy! :)
- Wall color/ Benjamin Moore EcoSpec Egg Shell in Gray Horse 2140-50
- Trim/ Benjamin Moore EcoSpec Semi-gloss in Pure White
- Green book case/ Rustoleum ultracover 2x in Gloss Meadow Green
- Crib/ Amy Coe Westport Lifetime Crib
- Dresser/changing table/ Ikea Malm 6-drawer dresser
- Rocking chair/ hand-me down reupholstered in spoonflower fabric
- Window seat/bookcase/ Ikea Expedit shelving unit
- Window seat baskets/ Ikea Pjas basket
- Lamp/ Ikea Hemma lamp base and yellow skirma shade
- Ceiling fixture/ Ikea Knappa pendant lamp
- Rug/ Ikea Havbro wool rug
- Moose/ Ikea Ekorre rocking moose
- Clock/ Baby Ben folding alarm clock
- Round Bevel Mirror/ Target
- Wooden Tray with glass lining/ Target
- Hamper/ wedding present from Crate and Barrel (fitted with a cotton liner I made)
- Roller shades/ Levolor room darkening roller shades
- Fan/ purchased many years ago
- Bird serving tray (on the green shelf)/ Ikea barbar tray
- Ipod docking station/ memorex minimove
- Plaid wool throw/ Roots
- Ottoman/ made by me (using this tutorial) with Waverly cross section green fabric from JoAnn
- Cornices/ upholstered in "dots and lines" fabric by dolphin and condor (printed at spoonflower)
- Rocking chair/ upholstered in vine fabric designed by me and printed at spoonflower
- Pillows/ made by yours truly with weimaraner, labrador, chevron, kumquat, vine fabrics designed by me and printed at spoonflower
- Frog made with my celebrate bunting fabric using this tutorial
- Crib skirt/ made by me following this diy and my own chevron fabric
- Floral pillow/ Dwell studio for Target
- Hockey skate booties/ Irish Hooks and Yarn
- Crib sheet and changing pad cover/ Carousel designs
- Teal owl water color/ painted by a family friend
- From Deep Below paper cut print (whale)/ Fog and Thistle
- Monsieur Under the Rain print/ CosasMinimas
- Sub(tract) housing print/ Sloe Gin Fizz (behind the door)
- Rainy day mobile/ made by me from felt, polyfill, and a 12" embroidery hoop
- Bunting decals/ made by me (tutorial here)
- Three birds print and framed birth announcement/ made by me
- Fabric collage/ made by me following this diy and various sizes of embroidery hoops
- 1- orange swirl from JoAnn Fabrics
- 2- teal chevron by me
- 3- bonjour lapin by Heather Dutton
- 4- celebrate bunting by me
- 5- birdhouse by troismiettes
- 6- juicy calico fabric from JoAnn Fabrics
- 7- kumquat spot by me
- 8-confetti forest by me
- 9- enjoy the ride by me
- 10-tree from JoAnn Fabrics
- 11- fabric forest by troismiettes
- 12- love and paper airplanes (sky blue) by me