baby ready: the nursery reveal

I've been such a delinquent blogger and crafter lately. But I promise, I have a good excuse! We're just a few weeks away from welcoming a new addition and I've been pouring all of my spare time and energy into getting ready. And I thought maybe you'd like to see what I've been up to. :)

What is now the nursery was once our guest bedroom. I was in such a rush to begin the project (can we say excited?) that I forgot to snap some "before" pix that show the room just prior to the makeover, but here are a few that show what the room looked like when I bought the house a few years ago. We hadn't done anything to the walls or windows since then. Looking at it now, I wonder how we could stand it for so long! Let me show you...

Yikes, right?



So dark and dreary!

Okay, enough of that. Look what a bit of paint can do.
Amazing how cheerful grey can be, isn't it?
And crisp, bright white makes such a difference to the trim and doors.

Doesn't hurt that it was a gorgeous, sun-shiny day today when I snapped these photos. :) But these were taken months ago and a lot has changed since then.

Here's the room as it appears now!
crib

So many nurseries are painted in happy pastels (understandably), and I must admit, I was seriously considering going with a lovely robin's egg blue by Benjamin Moore, but we decided to go with their gray horse instead, and I couldn't be more pleased. It's the perfect backdrop (I think), along with the bright white trim and furniture, to the rest of the colorful details. And we decided to keep the rug simple as well--just a soft, cozy pure wool area rug.

nursery

My first step in planning the nursery was to search through nursery pix on flickr for inspiration, which is where I found the idea of the fabric hoop collage you see on the wall to the left.

Here's a more detailed shot of the collage along with the fabrics:
Fabric collage/
1/orange swirl from JoAnn Fabrics, 2/teal chevron by me, 3/bonjour lapin by Heather  Dutton, 4/celebrate bunting by me, 5/birdhouse by troismiettes, 6/juicy calico fabric from JoAnn Fabrics, 7/kumquat spot by me, 8/confetti forest by me, 9/enjoy the ride by me, 10/tree from JoAnn Fabrics, 11/fabric forest by troismiettes, 12/love and paper airplanes (sky blue) by me.

  And reflected in the mirror, this fantastic etsy find!

south wall

The rocking chair is a repurposed piece--one I rescued (lifted?) from my parents' basement after my grad school days when I was trying to furnish my first house. I reupholstered it in a fabric I designed then had printed by spoonflower. Then I decided I needed something to prop my feet up on (during those feeding and/or reading sessions with the kiddo), so I searched around for a tutorial and made the green and white pouf in the foreground.

lola silhouette

Have I mentioned how pleased I am to have found spoonflower? It has been a wonderful resource, inspiration, and creative outlet for me in planning this nursery. I initially "stopped in" looking for unique fabrics (a few of which are included in the hoop collage), but stayed when I found out how fun it was to design my own things! The doggie silhouette pillows (we had to "bring" our four-legged babies, Lola and Sita, in to the nursery in some way!) were one of the first things I created. They make me smile--I hope Kumquat gets a kick out of them too!

frog

This fun little froggie (stuffed with lentils, mind!) is also made with some of my spoonflower fabric.

window seat

The biggest spoonflower splash in the space has to be the cornices. I wish I could take credit for the fabric, but I saw perfection in the simple design by dolphin and condor and had to snatch up her fabric instead. Oh, and in the corner, see that vibrant green bookcase that my hubby painted? The perfect fan and ipod stand, if you ask me.

new prints

Another early inspiration for the room was the print you see on the left--this lovely painting of three owls on a teal background done by a family friend years ago. I've always loved its simplicity and bold color. Hanging to the right, you'll see a couple of newer pieces to the room. On top, three little birds I illustrated to represent the growing chez Bethune (and the baby's holding a kumquat!). And below, a mock-up of a birth announcement that will eventually fill the frame. And from the ceiling, our diy felt clouds and rain mobile. It's amazing how rain can brighten your day when it's that colorful. I'm pretty proud of that $5 diy! :)

crib, bunting, and mobile
Stepping back a bit, you'll see another new addition to the room--a colorful bunting decal on the wall above the crib (which is looking a little more polished thanks to the new crib skirt--another spoonflower project!). The crib wall was looking a bit bare, but neither Andy nor I was keen on hanging anything above our little guy's cot, so I fashioned these little decals myself from a few sheets of scrapbooking paper that I coated with modge podge then adhered to  low-tack contact paper with spray adhesive (for a total cost of less than $10 and plenty of supplies to spare).  You might notice it sorta matches the bunting fabric I made for the froggie!

Now, I know it's not really a "nursery detail," but what half-Canadian little boy's room would be complete without a pair of hockey skates? And a moose for good measure! :) It's important to know your roots.

crib and bunting

Well, I guess that brings us around 360! You've seen the entire nursery and I hope you like it. If you are looking for more details on any of the things you've seen in here, you'll find them below.
have a lovely day, Amy

Nursery resources:
Paint
  • Wall color/ Benjamin Moore EcoSpec Egg Shell in Gray Horse 2140-50
  • Trim/ Benjamin Moore EcoSpec Semi-gloss in Pure White
  • Green book case/ Rustoleum ultracover 2x in Gloss Meadow Green
Furniture and fixtures
  • Crib/ Amy Coe Westport Lifetime Crib
  • Dresser/changing table/ Ikea Malm 6-drawer dresser
  • Rocking chair/ hand-me down  reupholstered in spoonflower fabric
  • Window seat/bookcase/ Ikea Expedit shelving unit
  • Window seat baskets/ Ikea Pjas basket
  • Lamp/ Ikea Hemma lamp base and yellow skirma shade
  • Ceiling fixture/ Ikea Knappa pendant lamp
  • Rug/ Ikea Havbro wool rug
  • Moose/ Ikea Ekorre rocking moose
  • Clock/ Baby Ben folding alarm clock
  • Round Bevel Mirror/ Target
  • Wooden Tray with glass lining/ Target
  • Hamper/ wedding present from Crate and Barrel (fitted with a cotton liner I made) 
  • Roller shades/  Levolor room darkening roller shades
  • Fan/ purchased many years ago
  • Bird serving tray (on the green shelf)/ Ikea barbar tray
  • Ipod docking station/ memorex minimove
Textiles
Art

lillyella  – (May 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM)  

it looks just gorgeous amy! I love all the bright bold colors and the gray walls are sheer perfection. Now I need a grey room once we move! Missing you around - cant wait to meet the little one :)
nicole

Lori  – (May 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM)  

This is gorgeous! You've done a remarkable job and are clearly ready for your bundle of joy. Enjoy the ride ahead. :)

Cheryl  – (May 10, 2010 at 3:31 PM)  

what a beautiful beautiful nursery you have created! I absolutely love everything about it. Jealous too since we haven't got a nursery for our little guy due in 2.5 wks! We are moving when he'll be less than two months old and decided it would be smart to just wait.

Do you read the Ohdeedoh blog? They highlight nurseries and I bet they would love to feature yours. It's awesome (your nursery) and this blog for great kiddo ideas.

Good luck with your final weeks! xx

UnaOdd -Lynn  – (May 10, 2010 at 5:27 PM)  

Wow! I just love your nursery! So very unique! Sophisticated yet sweet colors and accents... love the rainbow/rain mobile.

Definitely a space to grow into.

Tali Schiffer  – (May 11, 2010 at 6:45 AM)  

Oh wow! I love what you've done with it, and the color combo is perfect!! That is a nursery I would love to live in right now :)

Sydney  – (May 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM)  

Wow!! Absolutely love it.

Darby  – (May 13, 2010 at 5:39 PM)  

I just found one of your projects on Spoonflower and then went to your Flickr site and saw your lovely nursery! Wow, what a lucky little boy and how lovely it will feel to sit in that room and spend precious quiet moments together! Even on the hardest day (and there will be those) this room will lift all of your spirits, it just makes me smile seeing it. My favourite - I love ALL the spoonflower fabrics you have used, but the little cloud and raindrop mobile is just awesomely cute. Well done, you certainly have a creative talent that you should share with others. Thought about going into nursery design? You should.

Amy  – (May 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM)  

Wow! I'm blushing with these compliments, everyone! Thank you so much for the kind words and the huge confidence boost. Design for a living? Hmmm...I'm going to have to put some thought into that!

Amy (the b-line)  – (May 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM)  

Wow! I'm blushing with these compliments, everyone! Thank you so much for the kind words and the huge confidence boost. Design for a living? Hmmm...I'm going to have to put some thought into that!

Emily S –   – (May 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM)  

I am so IN LOVE with this nursery; found it on Rate MY Space. You have great design and DIY abilities! Awesome job... I will be stealing your ideas!

Danielle  – (May 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM)  

Your nursery is a absolutley gorgeous.

Megan  – (May 25, 2010 at 3:38 AM)  

hi from NZ, i came across your nursery from HelloOwl and just love it! i am obsessed with grey and yellow at the moment and your nursery is everything I am loving, especially the fabric hoops and the mobile :)

nichole  – (June 7, 2010 at 9:31 PM)  

It's GORGEOUS, Amy!

It makes me want to have another baby so I can decorate the nursery!

Natalie Catherine  – (June 10, 2010 at 10:56 AM)  

i am absolutely in loveeee with this nursery! i am so happy i found your blog through spearmint baby!! i'm a follower. and i'm bookmarking this page so i can feature you later this week. i love how you listed all your resources.. soo helpful!

KELSEY C.  – (June 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM)  

amazing nursery. LOVE IT

kelsey @ http://ladylucca.blogspot.com

Adri  – (June 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM)  

This is AMAZING! I keep coming back to spearmint baby to look at it, and I had to let you know what a great job you did. I actually am about to blog about it right now.

Lyndsay  – (June 18, 2010 at 4:08 AM)  

Oh my gosh ! Congratulations!! And the room is GORGEOUS! Your little bean will love it I'm sure!

Kristina  – (June 28, 2010 at 9:07 AM)  

I love your nursery! I read Spearmint Baby and there are so many rooms I love, but I really truly LOVE the gray with all the bright colorful accents... seriously considering this for our little lentil due in December!

Chic Mother and Baby  – (July 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM)  

CONGRATS on a great nursery and your newborn - who is soo lucky! We've just done a post on your nursery too :) http://chicmotherandbaby.blogspot.com/2010/07/b-line-nursery.html

Amy (the b-line)  – (July 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM)  

Thanks so much, everyone, for your kind compliments. We are enjoying using the nursery now that our little boy is here. It's amazing how much he's taking in each day.

blogging comes naturally....cleaning does not  – (July 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM)  

seriously, most beautiful nusery EVER! i want the entire thing transplanted to my house :)
awesome!

Dina @ Honey & Fitz  – (July 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM)  

I love everything about this nursery! Thanks for sharing. I originally found one of your pics on Flickr when I was looking for others that used the Expedit as a window seat. I'm still trying to figure out if it will work in my space but your room is inspiring nonetheless. Congrats on getting it done (and on your little one of course!)

The Ballards  – (July 30, 2010 at 4:05 PM)  

You must be so busy now with your baby boy (congrats!!!) We're expecting our own little one in March. But if you have a free moment, could you please please post a tutorial on how to make those amazing pillows? This is my favorite room I've seen so far and I've been hunting!

patricia  – (August 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM)  

Gorgeous Amy! Congratulations and welcome to Motherhood! :)

Nanette  – (August 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM)  

What an amazing nursery!! I'm considering making my own "morroccan pouf" ottoman to accompany the rocking chair that I inherited from my grandmother. That looks like a great tutorial that you posted the link to, but I'm wondering how many yards of fabric you used, since the tutorial is shown using an old dress. Two other questions; what did you stuff it with, and did you use the pattern for the "large size," or make it even bigger? Thanks so much for posting your beautiful nursery!

Nanette

Amy (the b-line)  – (August 23, 2010 at 11:05 PM)  

Thanks, Nanette! The pouf was really easy to construct. I think I bought 3 yards of fabric but only used a little over 2 yards for the ottoman. I made the large size and the only change I made was to slightly alter the shape of the patch on the top and bottom. Mine is stuffed with polyfill, so it's really light. I used 8 large bags to get it really full. (About 9 lbs) If you want it to be firmer, I'd suggest using rags or old clothes and blankets. Mine is full enough to sit on comfortably, but not terribly firm. Good luck! I'd love to see how your nursery turns out!

Maxabella  – (August 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM)  

This is the most lovely space, Amy. What a lucky little fella. Love your style. x

Kelly –   – (September 5, 2010 at 12:50 AM)  

Hi Amy - I love your nursery!! I'm looking to make my own fabric covered cornices and I'm wondering if there's a DIY that you followed to create yours?

Amy (the b-line)  – (September 5, 2010 at 10:48 PM)  

Hi Kelly,
Sorry I can't point you to a specific link for that project. I did "google" cornice boxes to look at a few ideas, but in the end, my hubby and I sorta winged it! Basically, we used 2x10"pine boards that we cut so that the were 2 inches wider (on each side) than our windows. We added 2x4" boards to the tops and cut 2x4x10" pieces for the sides. We glued and screwed these pieces together. After that, I used batting to pad the cornice front, top, and sides, securing the batting with staples. Next, I attached the fabric in the same way. Finally, we mounted the cornices using L brackets attached to the window from to underneath the cornice top. Hope that helps!

Erin @ Domestic Adventure  – (December 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM)  

Hi Amy,

I just wanted to say how much I love your nursery. I saw your room on Ohdeedoh and blatantly used many of your ideas when we designed our nursery(we used the exact same wall color and I made some bright yellow cornices).

I just posted our big nursery reveal and gave your room credit at the end for being such a big source of inspiration!

So thank you for sharing all of your ideas and hard work!

Erin

Denise  – (January 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM)  

Absolutely beautiful!
Can you post the link for the pouf (or email me at weber_d (@) bellsouth(dot)net)

Great job!
Denise
http://www.extremepersonalmeasures.com

Amy (the b-line)  – (January 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM)  

Hi Denise,
The pouf was a diy project using this tutorial: http://www.examiner.com/x-11495-NY-HowTo-Home-Design-Examiner%7Ey2009m7d27-Decor-101--How-can-I-make-a-budgetfriendly-DIY-Moroccan-pouf

Enjoy!

Edina MN Realty  – (January 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM)  

Wow! I just love your nursery! So very unique!
Thanks so much for posting your beautiful nursery!




Gift Baskets

Tapshop321  – (January 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM)  

oh what a nice room for a baby.the design is really good.thank you for sharing this.


Houston SEO
Minnesota Real Estate

Esme  – (March 7, 2011 at 5:14 PM)  

what a beautiful room, I have a question about the paint color. I have been looking for a true gray with no undertones. I see you used Gray Horse, in your opinion is this a true gray or does it have any other undertone? I am having such a hrad time finding a soft gray, just gray.

Thank you!

amanda –   – (March 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM)  

Love this room! It's a huge inspiration for me now! Do you mind sharing how the crib has held up for you? I love the look of it, but my husband is concerned about the quality. Thanks!!!

Amy (the b-line)  – (March 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM)  

Thanks so much, Amanda. We absolutely love this crib. It's like a rock! Incredibly sturdy and nice on the eyes.

Kelly –   – (April 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM)  

Love, love, love this nursery. It's now my inspiration for our baby girl's room. Thank you for sharing. Quick question...did you make the yellow window treatments? Thank you!

Kelly –   – (April 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM)  

Sorry! One more quick question...did you paint the malm dresser white or buy it like that? If you bought it in white, Ikea doesn't sell it anymore.

Hollybobber  – (April 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM)  

I absolutely love your nursery and it has given me many ideas for my own! I have linked to this page from my own blog at http://hollybobb.blogspot.com, I hope you don't mind!

Lisa @ Hollybobbs

Amy (the b-line)  – (April 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM)  

Thanks, Kelly! Yes, we did make the cornices above the windows. It was a simple project--we just made wooden boxes to fit over the window frames, then I used a staple gun to adhere batting and then the fabric over top. And yes, we bought the malm in white. I don't see it on line but I know they had it in stock in the store a few weeks ago (ours, at least). Good luck!

Amy (the b-line)  – (April 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM)  

Thanks, Lisa--and I don't mind at all. ;)

Kelly –   – (April 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM)  

Thank you! Another question...was it safe for you to help paint with that specific paint you guys used?

Amy (the b-line)  – (April 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM)  

Kelly, I asked my doctor about painting at around 20 weeks and she said go for it (even with "normal" latex paint) as long as I could keep the area well ventilated. This was a challenge, as we painted in winter in Michigan! But we also chose low VOC paint for better peace of mind. It really didn't smell much at all. I've just passed the midway mark in pregnancy number 2 and plan to paint the new nursery in the next month or so--once my work/life settles a bit!

Kelly –   – (April 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM)  

Awesome. Thank you...we just went ahead and painted our nursery. Another question, haha, sorry, you're going to get sick of me! How much fabric did you need to buy for each embroidery hoop?

Kelly –   – (April 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM)  

And where did you buy your embroidery rings? They seem kinda difficult to find where I live.

Amy (the b-line)  – (April 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM)  

It's no trouble at all, Kelly! Glad you are getting things together. :) I bought the embroidery hoops at JoAnn Fabrics, but you should be able to find them at pretty much any craft/fabric store. And for the fabric--it depends on the size hoop. I used anywhere from an 8" square swatch (or smaller) to a fat quarter but nothing larger than that.

L + A  – (May 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM)  

I'm in love with your nursery! Just found your blog and see you're expecting again . . . congrats! I might be way behind, but I'll definitely be catching up - Love the blog!

www.onegoodreed.blogspot.com

chozi  – (June 22, 2011 at 5:30 AM)  

This is the first time i am reading your post and admire that you posted article which gives users lot of information regarding particular topic. Thanks for this share

aspirateur sans sac

Amy  – (June 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM)  

So glad it's useful to you, chozi! Have a great day!

aspirateur sans sac  – (July 11, 2011 at 7:11 AM)  

This is the first time i am reading your post and admire that you posted article which gives users lot of information regarding particular topic. Thanks for this share

aspirateur sans sac

kitchens  – (July 12, 2011 at 1:23 AM)  

That was alluring! Thanks for the extent interpretation! I even did an appraisal on my website! Why am I using squeal script everywhere!

protonix  – (July 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM)  

With out doubt, I will visit this site again. It is perfect site to obtain source because the information is outburst. This is what I really like in a site, very informative, no waste of time on reading.

Mohsin  – (July 14, 2011 at 5:17 AM)  

I am so grateful I found your blog page, Really its remarkable. You have some great content but are getting lots of none relevant comments here too.Ventilatoren

kitchen taps  – (July 17, 2011 at 4:49 PM)  

Love the way you have put together the nursery it looks fantastic!

Jessica  – (August 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM)  

I love this room! You did a wonderful job. Would you mind telling me how you hung the embroidery hoop mobile? I'd love to attempt one of my own. Thanks!

Amy (the b-line)  – (August 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM)  

Thanks, Jessica. To hang them, I'd suggest finding small nails (make sure they have somewhat of a head on them) then just slip the finished hoops (the clamp part, where there is a small open hole) over the nail. You could even paint the nails the color of your walls to make them blend in a bit more. Hope that helps!

marta  – (August 17, 2011 at 6:55 AM)  

new to your blog and absolutely loving it. thank you for all the paint ideas; that gray is so gorgeous. you've added such whimsical touches that are so unique to a nursery. congrats and nice work. will be browsing more often. so happy to land upon your blog!

Felicia Rawlins  – (October 23, 2011 at 12:53 PM)  

Such great nurseries! I like how both have their own unique style. I was so inspired by your yellow cornice I am moving forward with bright yellow curtains and accents to our aqua nursery. Thank you! I was wondering what you used to hang the rain(bow)/cloud mobile. The white pieces specifically.

Amy (the b-line)  – (October 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM)  

Thank you, Felicia! I hope you enjoy the splash of yellow in your aqua nursery. I'm a big fan of sunny hues. :) The white pieces you see in the mobile are simply pieces of white satin ribbon (which I already had lying around when I made it) tied to the opposing sides of the embroidery hoop and then gathered in the middle. I used another piece of ribbon to hang the mobile.

joseph  – (October 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM)  

Great nursery! I love embroidery hoops.Can i learn hoops sizes.For example number 1,6, 8, 9,.

Anonymous –   – (November 17, 2011 at 1:49 PM)  

I have this same crib and I want to put a crib skirt on, but it seems I would have to put holes through the fabric to do so. Did you put holes in the fabric to screw the support beams, etc in. Or what did you do? Thanks.

Anonymous –   – (November 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM)  

In reference to the above question concerning the crib skirt, you can reply to my question at kimberly.julian@gmail.com. Thank you so much.

Amy (the b-line)  – (November 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM)  

Hi Kimberly,
The crib skirt I made was actually three separate rectangular panels that I attached to the metal mattress support using adhesive-backed velcro. I suppose if you were using a traditional crib skirt, you might have to cut slits at the corners so it would allow the fabric to come down over the hardware. Good luck!

Viagra Online without prescription  – (January 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM)  

what a beautiful place I love this bedroom design is simply perfect

Jessica  – (January 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM)  

Hi! I love the rain drop mobile! Just wondering how did you hang the rain drops and then the mobile itself? Thanks!

pph software  – (March 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM)  

love the wood floor! love everything

Alyssa  – (April 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM)  

Hi Amy! I love your nursery so much, I tried my best to copy the bright colors in my munchkin's room :). I featured your work on my blog, just wanted to share.

Alyssa
(here's the link: http://www.myclevernest.com/2011/09/refinishing-laminate-changing-table.html)

Steph @ Birdhouse blog  – (May 24, 2012 at 10:51 AM)  

Love your nursery!!! All the fun fabrics and DIY details are great! I also love your cheerful use of color.

hormone replacement  – (July 4, 2012 at 7:33 AM)  

This information provided by you is very constructive for correct planning. I like to take this chance to state that i really like your post.

Post a Comment

Hi there! I'm so glad you visited my blog today. And look, you made it all the way down here! While you're here, leave me a note. And have a lovely day.
Amy

more photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from thebline. Make your own badge here.

search the site

come, join us!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP